- 1 What Is The Best Camera Phone?
- 2 How to choose the right camera phone for you
- 3 Selfies galore
- 4 Landscapecityscape
- 5 Portrait mode
- 6 Next level video capturing
- 7 Image stabilisation
- 8 Extra stability
- 9 Upgrading your video quality
- 10 Explore our best camera phones
- 11 Most common questions
- 12 The best camera phone in 2022: what’s the best smartphone for photography?
- 13 The best camera phone in 2022
- 13.0.1 If you’re looking for the best camera phone, look no further
- 13.0.2 More evolution than revolution, but still the best iPhone ever
- 13.0.3 The Pixel 6 Pro is easily Google’s best camera phone ever
- 13.0.4 Clever photo features still make the iPhone 12 Pro a force to be reckoned with
- 13.0.5 Apple’s biggest, boldest and best new iPhone. but it’s hugely expensive
- 13.0.6 A capable point-and-shoot camera phone with great battery life
- 13.0.7 A tech spec behemoth with 108MP, 100x zoom and 8K video
- 13.0.8 This phone offers a high-end chipset and an excellent zoom lens
- 13.0.9 A videographer’s dream
- 13.0.10 Stacked with power and packing 5G, too
- 14 More buying guides
- 15 The Best Camera Phones for 2022
- 16 From Selfies to Portraits
- 17 Trends and Accessories
- 18 How About Video?
- 19 Do You Need a Standalone Camera?
- 20 The best camera phone for 2022
- 21 Best phone camera for selfies
- 22 More of the best phones
- 23 Best Samsung phone 2021: Which Galaxy smartphone is right for you?
- 24 The best Samsung smartphones to buy
- 24.1 2. Samsung Galaxy A21s: The best budget Samsung phone
- 24.2 3. Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3 5G: The best foldable worth buying
- 24.3 4. Samsung Galaxy S20 FE: Fan-tastic value
- 24.4 5. Samsung Galaxy A52 5G: Samsung’s best mid-range phone
- 24.5 6. Samsung Galaxy Flip3 5G: The best-value foldable
- 24.6 7. Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra: Bigger, better, more expensive
- 25 These are the Best Samsung Galaxy phones to buy in 2021!
- 26 Best Overall: Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
- 27 Second Best Phone Overall: Samsung Galaxy S21
- 28 Best Value: Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G
- 29 Best that money can buy: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
- 30 Also Great: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2
- 31 Best Compact and Style: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3
- 32 Best for those who want a stylus: Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
- 33 Best Samsung for those who want 5G on a budget: Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
What Is The Best Camera Phone?
You can discover the greatest smartphone camera for you, regardless of whether you are a selfie enthusiast or a movie director.
How to choose the right camera phone for you
When it comes to determining which camera phone is ideal for you, consider how you want to utilize your phone’s camera. This will assist you in determining which characteristics are most important to you.
If you’re a selfie enthusiast who uses your phone to capture the majority of your images and videos, you’ll want to hunt for a phone with the greatest selfie camera available. Take, for example, theGalaxy S21 Ultra, which boasts a front-facing camera with an impressive 40 megapixels that automatically adjusts to shoot high-quality photographs even in low-light situations.
If you have a lot of images and videos of cities and landscapes on your phone, a smartphone with a telephoto and/or wide-angle lens might give you even more options. However, while your primary lens is capable of capturing these, having a zoom lens may help you acquire an exceptionally fine photograph of a distant skyscraper or landmark, and a wide or ultrawide lens can catch the expanse of an open landscape or city skyline in greater detail.
While traditional portrait photography required a professional camera, multi-camera setups now allow you to capture the “portrait” look with only your smartphone and a few other devices. In order to get more portrait images, search for a smartphone that has a multi-camera system. While the blurred background effect (bokeh) may be achieved with software alone, it is more dependable to accomplish the same effect with hardware instead of software. Some phones may also be equipped with a telephoto lens, which enhances the information obtained through the zoom.
Next level video capturing
If you’re a professional filmmaker or simply like to shoot films rather than images, there are a few aspects you should keep in mind while selecting a smartphone:
Handheld videos may be made buttery smooth with the use of image stabilization. Video stabilization is feasible on smartphones equipped with big image sensors, optical image stabilization (OIS), or artificial intelligence (AI) (artificial intelligence). While artificial intelligence algorithms may be used to stabilize movies on smartphones, optical image stabilization is more dependable and produces better results. It is available on our newerSamsung Galaxy Z,Samsung Galaxy SandNote series devices, including as theSamsung Galaxy Z Fold3 andZ Flip3, that include optical image stabilization.
Look for phones that include dual optical image stabilization (OIS), such as the Galaxy S21range and the Galaxy Z Flip3 5G- which, because to their foldable displays, also have Flex Mode, which allows you to shoot steady images while holding the phone in your hand. Dual OIS refers to when both the primary and wide-angle cameras feature optical image stabilization, allowing you to shoot video without constantly relying on your primary lens for stability.
Upgrading your video quality
Video quality has a significant influence on not just the appearance of your videos, but also on the amount of flexibility you have when editing them. If you want to make professional-quality videos, seek for smartphones that can record at least 4K video.
Some of the most recent smartphones, such as the S21 series, are capable of recording 8K video. That is four times the resolution of 4K and sixteen times the resolution of Full HD, to put it in context.
Explore our best camera phones
Discover how an image might elicit inspiration, as well as how to improve your photography abilities, by exploring Galaxy.
Most common questions
Answers to frequently asked questions can be found in the section below.
Instantaneous guidance from the Samsung specialists who are the most knowledgeable.
Free 28 Day Returns
If you don’t like it, you can always return it.
Spread the expense and trade in for a reduction that is immediate.
Free Scheduled Delivery
You can have it delivered the next day or on a certain day of your choosing.
The best camera phone in 2022: what’s the best smartphone for photography?
(Photo courtesy of Getty Images.) The greatest camera phones combine the pinnacle of image technology with razor-sharp screens and lightning-fast internet access to provide a tempting combination of convenience and performance. In fact, some smartphones can take better pictures than a ‘real’ camera, which may otherwise persuade you to upgrade your device’s photographic capabilities. As camera phone technology advances, it may become increasingly difficult to keep up with the latest phones that are available on the market.
It is possible to distill camera phone technology down to a single, straightforward concept: pure and simple ease.
While the greatest camera phones may not yet be able to compete with the finest DSLRs or the best mirrorless cameras in terms of image quality, the one area in which camera phones outperform traditional cameras is in terms of their portability.
However, fold phones, such as theSamsung Galaxy Z Flip and theSamsung Galaxy Z Fold 2, are exceedingly compact.
- The finest phone covers to keep your camera phone safe and secure
The best camera phone in 2022
The finest phone covers to keep your camera phone safe and protected.
If you’re looking for the best camera phone, look no further
Date of publication: January 2021 108MP f/1.8, 10MP f/2.4, 10MP f/4.9, and 12MP f/2.2 ultrawide cameras on the back Front-facing camera resolution: 40M POIS:Yes 227 g is the weight of the item. The following are the dimensions: 165.1 x 75.6 x 8.9 mm Storage:128/256/512GB
Reasons to buy
Beautiful display to go along with the fantastic camera zoom
Reasons to avoid
– A tad on the expensive side – No microSD card slot In the event that you’re looking for a smartphone having a high-quality camera, the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra might be the perfect choice for you. A total of four rear cameras are included in this camera phone, with the main camera having a 108MP f/1.8 aperture, a 12MP f/2.2 ultra-wide camera, and two 10MP telephoto cameras, one of which has an f/2.4 aperture and 3x optical zoom, the other of which has an f/4.9 aperture and a massive 10x optical zoom.
Users with smaller hands may find it difficult to utilize the device.
Review of the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra in its entirety (Image credit: Apple)
More evolution than revolution, but still the best iPhone ever
The film will be released in September 2021. Rear cameras: 12MP f/1.5, 12MP f/1.8 ultrawide, and 12MP f/2.8 telephoto (12MP f/1.8 telephoto). 12 Megapixels on the front camera POIS:Yes Weight:204g The following are the dimensions: 146.7 x 71.5 x 7.7mm Storage:128GB/256GB/512GB/1TB
Reasons to buy
+ Extensively enhanced cameras+ Refresh rate of the screen at 120Hz
Reasons to avoid
– The optical zoom is still limited to ‘just’ 3x. Even while the iPhone 13 Pro’s camera improvements are rather minor when compared to those of the iPhone 12 Pro, it nevertheless has several significant enhancements. Along with the addition of a helpful new macro option, the ultra-wide camera has seen a boost in low light performance. Although it’s not necessary to experiment with new image types, the Cinematic video mode is a creative addition that’s useful for anybody interested in making movies.
Standard and ultra-wide lenses have the same focal lengths as the iPhone 12 Pro’s 26mm (equivalent) standard lens and 13mm (0.5x) ultra-wide optic, but the telephoto lens has been increased to a 3x (78mm) offering, up from the iPhone 12 Pro’s 2x offering.
However, it is not for those who are particularly budget conscious, especially if you already own a 12 Pro, which is very nearly as good.
The Pixel 6 Pro is easily Google’s best camera phone ever
The film will be released in October 2021. Front cameras: 50MP f/1.9, 12MP f/2.2 ultrawide, 48MP f/3.5 telephoto; rear cameras: 50MP f/1.9; Front-facing camera:11.1 Megapixels POIS:Yes Weight:210g The following are the dimensions: 163.9 x 74.9 x 8.9mm Storage:128GB/256GB/512GB
Reasons to buy
+ Photographic processing that is natural and dependable+ Design that is striking+ Screen that is large, bold, and punchy+ Android experience that is uncluttered
Reasons to avoid
– The device can become hot while under heavy usage. – The battery is first poor, but subsequently improves. – The ultra-wide lens has a fixed focal length. Google’s first major product in years has a lot to live up to the hype. The Pixel 5 was excellent, but it was far from a top-of-the-line smartphone, while the Pixel 4 fell short of our expectations due to rehashed camera hardware and overheated internals, among other things. Google has nailed the nail on the head with the Pixel 6 Pro. There has been a complete hardware overhaul to its triple rear-facing camera system: the primary (26mm wide-angle) camera now includes a 50MP 1/1.31 sensor with 1.2-micron pixels, omnidirectional phase-detection autofocus, laser autofocus, and optical image stabilization.
However, the Pixel 6 Pro’s new periscope zoom camera is undoubtedly the most stunning feature of the device.
The sensor itself is small, measuring only half an inch in size, but because to Google’s software expertise combined with optical image stabilization, it’s still a fantastic addition to the device, and it truly makes the Pixel 6 Pro a better choice than the normal Pixel 6.
In full, here is what I wrote: Review of the Google Pixel 6 Pro (Photo courtesy of Amy Davies / Digital Camera World)
Clever photo features still make the iPhone 12 Pro a force to be reckoned with
Release date is set for October 2020. Photographic sensors on the back: 12MP 13mm f/2.4, 12MP 26mm f/1.6, and 12MP 52mm f/2. TrueDepth camera with 12MP and f/2.2 aperture on the front. Yes, there is a dual OIS. 189 g (about) The following are the dimensions: 146.7 x 71.5 x 7.4 mm Storage:128/256/512GB
Reasons to buy
+ Unit with three cameras+ Apple has introduced a new ProRAW file type. LiDAR scanner and more 5G
Reasons to avoid
– 12MP camera sensors are the only ones available. The iPhone 12 Pro is one of the greatest camera phones now available, with an excellent triple camera unit that includes an ultra wide f/2.4 camera, a wide f/1.6 camera, and a telephoto f/2 camera. The iPhone 12 Pro is also one of the most expensive smartphones available. Meanwhile, the TrueDepth camera on the front of the phone has a 12-megapixel sensor as well. In addition to the LiDAR scanner, which will allow for faster focusing in low light conditions, the iPhone 12 Pro includes a number of other new capabilities.
Combining 5G with the new Ceramic Shield display (which has a 4x better drop performance) makes the new iPhone 12 Pro a no-brainer.
Apple’s biggest, boldest and best new iPhone. but it’s hugely expensive
The film will be released in October 2021. Rear cameras: 12MP 13mm f/1.8 Ultra Wide, 12MP 26mm f/1.5 Wide, 12MP 77mm f/2.8 Telephoto, 12MP 26mm f/1.5 Ultra Wide, 12MP 77mm f/2.8 Telephoto Front camera:12MP f/2.2 TrueDepthOIS:Yes Rear camera:12MP f/2.2 Weight:240g The following are the dimensions: 160.8 x 78.1 x 7.65mm Storage options include 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB.
Reasons to buy
+ Auto-macro mode+ Superb Cinematic mode+ Added bonus: RAW capture with a 77mm telephoto lens
Reasons to avoid
– More of a phablet than a phone, in terms of size. – Exorbitant, even by Apple’s high standards. With the same cameras and technology as the iPhone 13 Pro, but with a larger screen, the iPhone 13 Pro Max is the most powerful and best-looking of Apple’s new-generation smartphones (6.7 inches versus 6.1 inches). Aside from that, the Pro Max has a little longer battery life, with up to 28 hours of video playing compared to up to 22 hours on the smaller ’13 Pro. It can be tempting to choose the Pro Max over the ordinary Pro model simply because you’ll be getting the ‘best of both worlds.’ Why not go the extra mile and upgrade to the larger screen instead of just sticking with the normal Pro?
No question, the iPhone 13 Pro Max is a genuinely amazing camera phone, whether you’re shooting stills or video, and it’s worth every penny.
The normal iPhone 13 Pro, on the other hand, offers the same photographic capabilities in a more ergonomic (and less expensive!) design, which is why it ranks higher on this list. In full, here is what I wrote: Review of the iPhone 13 Pro Max (Image credit: Google)
A capable point-and-shoot camera phone with great battery life
Release date: October of this year Rear cameras: 12.2MP (27mm-equiv. wide angle lens, f/1.7, PDAF, OIS), 16MP (ultra wide angle, f/2.2), 16MP (ultra wide angle, f/2.2). ToF 3D Camera on the front camera: 8 MP, f/2, 24mm (wide angle). 151 g is the weight of the item. The following are the dimensions: 144.7 x 70.4 x 8.0 mm 128 GB of storage space
Reasons to buy
+ Excellent camera+ Excellent battery life+ Charging using wireless technology
Reasons to avoid
– There is no extendable storage. – There is no telephoto power. – There is midrange power. It’s possible that the Google Pixel 5 is the right smartphone for you if you’re seeking for a hassle-free and capable point-and-shoot camera smartphone. While the Google Pixel 5 may not be the most technologically advanced smartphone on the market, what it lacks in originality it more than makes up for in dependability and convenience. In terms of hardware, the Google Pixel 5’s back dual camera system has a 12.2MP 27mm f/1.7 sensor and a 16MP ultra wide f/2.2 camera, but it is the software that lifts this camera to a higher level of performance.
There are also some interesting flagship features on offer with the Google Pixel 5, including as a 90Hz refresh rate display, water resistance, and wireless charging, among others.
A tech spec behemoth with 108MP, 100x zoom and 8K video
Expected release date: March 2020 108MP primary camera (f/1.8, 26mm, OIS), 12MP ultra wide angle (f/2.2, 13mm), 48MP telephoto (f/3.5, 103mm), ToF depth-sensing camera (total of four cameras on the back) Front camera: 40MP (f/2.2, 26mm) with LED flash. OIS:Yes 222 g is the weight of the item. 1669 76 8.8mm Dimensions: 166.9 76 8.8mm 128 GB, 256 GB, and 512 GB of storage are available.
Reasons to buy
+ Primary camera with a resolution of 108MP Zooming up to 100 times is possible. 8K video and above 5G technology is future-proof.
Reasons to avoid
– A 100x zoom lens with a limited range of application – There are several limitations to 8K footage. – There is a problem with battery life. The Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G may not be the most recent model in the company’s inventory, but it is still a terrific photography phone. Its 108MP camera demonstrates that it is more than a game of numbers. And while the 100x zoom may not be able to provide photographs at the extreme end of the spectrum, it is more than capable of producing stunning telephoto images.
The 8K resolution is more restricted than you might expect, the 120Hz mode is best avoided for the majority of users, and the pricing is prohibitively expensive for many.
As for its image quality, it is almost probably the finest Android camera phone ever — and the best 5G camera phone, to boot – when everything is working properly.
In full, here is what I wrote: Review of the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra Also see: The best phablets (photo courtesy of Basil Kronfli/Digital Camera World) and the best tablets.
This phone offers a high-end chipset and an excellent zoom lens
Release date is set for August 2020. 108 MP, 12 MP, 12 MP (rear cameras), 10 MP (front camera) POIS:Yes 208 g is the weight of this item. Dimensions: 164.8 x 77.2 x 8.1 mmStorage: 128/256/512 GB Dimensions: 164.8 x 77.2 x 8.1 mm
Reasons to buy
+ Includes the S Pen in addition to the rest of the accessories. Camera that is excellent for both stills and video.
Reasons to avoid
Consistent battery results despite being somewhat pricey. For those in need of one of the greatest cameras on mobile phones with telephoto capabilities, then the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra could be the phone for you. The Note 20 Ultra includes a triple-rear camera setup, with a 108MP f/1.8 primary camera, a 12MP f/2.2 ultra-wide camera, and – the star of the show – a 12MP f/3 camera with 5x optical zoom and 50x digital zoom, among other features. A total of three colors are available for the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, including Mystic Bronze, Mystic White, and Mystic Black.
In full, here is what I wrote: Review of the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra (Photo courtesy of Basil Kronfli/Digital Camera World).
A videographer’s dream
The film will be released in August 2021. 12-megapixel rear camera (24mm f/1.7) with 12-megapixel front camera (6-megapixel 70mm f/2.3 + 12-megapixel 105mm f/2.8) + 12-megapixel secondary camera (8-megapixel 16mm f/2.2) Front camera: 8MP (f/2) with LED flash. Aperture of the rear camera: f/1.7 + f/2.3 + f/2.8 + f/2.2 The following are the dimensions: 165 x 71 x 8.2 mm Storage:128GB/256GB
Reasons to buy
+ Extensive professional video capabilities+ Awe-inspiring screen+ There is a plenty of electricity and storage.
Reasons to avoid
– The screen may be brighter; yet, it is expensive. – The zoom is less effective than the competitors. The Sony Xperia 1 III is the only smartphone available for video professionals and film enthusiasts who want to take their smartphone filming to the next level. It is capable of shooting video at up to 21:9 aspect ratio for cinematic capture, and it provides complete manual control as well as a wonderfully flat color profile that is ideal for post-processing in Premiere Pro or Da Vinci Resolve.
Fans of Sony photography will also like all of the Alpha components that have found their way into the Xperia camera user interface.
In full, here is what I wrote: Review of the Sony Xperia 1 III (Image credit: OnePlus)
Stacked with power and packing 5G, too
The film will be released in March 2021.
Rear-view camera (optional): The primary camera has 48MP (f/1.8), the telephoto has 8MP (f/2.4), the ultra-wide has 50MP (f/2.2), and the depth camera has 2MP (f/2.4). 16 Megapixels on the front camera POIS:Yes Weight:197g The following are the dimensions: 163.2 x 73.6 x 8.7mm Storage:128/256GB
Reasons to buy
+ Extremely well-equipped+ Design of the highest caliber
Reasons to avoid
– A better telephoto camera would be advantageous. – More expensive than the predecessor. The OnePlus 9 Pro is the result of a historic partnership between OnePlus and Hasselblad, and it boasts a slew of fantastic photography-oriented features, including a powerful rear quad camera with a 48MP main lens, a 50MP ultra-wide lens, an 8MP telephoto lens, and a 2MP monochrome lens. The OnePlus 9 Pro is available now for pre-order (for better blackwhite shots). The Samsung Galaxy S21 Plus is the greatest camera phone according to our best camera phone purchasing guide, but you might be pleased to discover that the OnePlus 9 Pro outperforms the S21 Plus when it comes to optical zooming.
Mostly, the Hasselblad influence can be seen in the picture processing and a new appearance for the camera interface, which includes a pro mode for more accurate manual photo shooting.
More buying guides
- The greatest affordable camera phones now available
- The best dash cams currently available
- The top ten point-and-shoot cameras of 2014
- The ten greatest cameras available for less than $500
- The top ten best cameras for first-time photographers
- The ten best cameras for photography enthusiasts
- The greatest flashguns available on the market right now
- The best monopods available
- The top camera backpacks available right now
- The top 50 best camera accessories are listed below. The greatest LED light panels on the market
With more than a decade of photography expertise, Louise brings a wealth of information about photographing technique and know-how to Digital Camera World – something she is so skilled at that she has presented workshops for clients such as ITV and Sue Ryder. Louise also offers years of experience as an online and print writer, having worked as features editor for Practical Photographymagazine and as a contributor to publications such as Digital Camera Magazine and Digital Photographer, where she wrote photography tutorials and camera analyses.
As ecommerce editor for DCW, she is well-versed in the ways of excellent camera, lens, and laptop discounts when she finds them.
The Best Camera Phones for 2022
Your phone serves as the camera that you always have with you. Even if you haven’t changed your phone in a few years, you’ll be pleasantly pleased by how much the performance of phone cameras (especially in low light) has improved in that time period. We’ve almost reached the stage where you can leave your old point-and-shoot camera at home as long as you’ve got a nice camera phone in your pocket, which is a significant advancement. Nonetheless, not all cell phone cameras are made equal. The cameras on every phone we test are subjected to a rigorous set of examinations in order to discover which are the finest shooters available on the market.
Having one of them in your pocket means you’ll never have to worry about forgetting your separate camera again, and each of them is also a fantastic smartphone in its own right.
From Selfies to Portraits
An ongoing source of frustration is that many of the greatest cameras are found on cellphones that aren’t readily available in the United States right now. Manufacturers like as Huawei, Oppo, and Xiaomi are investing heavily in camera technology, but they do not sell phones in the United States for a variety of reasons, and their phones perform badly on our networks. This year, our experts have evaluated 67 different products in the mobile phone category. Since 1982, PCMag has evaluated and rated hundreds of goods in order to assist you in making more informed purchasing decisions.
Even though higher-end phones tend to outperform their lower-priced counterparts, the gap is narrowing, especially for those who typically shoot images in bright light.
The photographer is the most significant component in each image; the camera is only a secondary consideration.
The Google Pixel 6 Pro is equipped with the greatest camera system you’ll find on an Android smartphone. (Photo courtesy of Steven Winkelman) )
Trends and Accessories
A few years ago, we witnessed the emergence of a thriving trend of smartphones with several lenses, which is still in full bloom today. Many smartphones now come with a conventional lens, a magnifying zoom lens, and a wide-angle lens in addition to the basic lens. The use of monochrome or infrared time-of-flight sensors can aid in determining the depth of field forbokeh. Color filters (which can be accomplished extremely well in software) and macro lenses are examples of less successful lenses and sensors that we’ve seen (slowly improving).
- The Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra’s 108MP sensor is a remarkable exception, thanks to its ultra-high resolution.
- However, the drawback is that the individual pixels can often be quite tiny, which might cause issues when it comes to color capture or low-light photography.
- Phones are now capable of combining zoomed-in high-megapixel photographs with optical zoom lenses and software to provide 30x, 50x, or—in the case of the Galaxy S21 Ultra—100x zooming capabilities, respectively.
- However, a strong 10x zoom, such as the one found on the Galaxy S21 Ultra, is still a significant improvement over the previous generation.
- Unfortunately, the majority of solid-state phones sold in the United States lag behind their overseas counterparts.
- When you compare those to the big 1/1.128-inch primary sensor on the Huawei P40 Pro and the enormous 1/1.112-inch primary sensor on the Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra, you’ll notice that we still have a long way to go in this area.
- The result is photographs that are less blurry and more detailed.
Even while they appear to be shooting with long, multi-second exposures, they are really using artificial intelligence algorithms to decrease blur by matching the numerous shots together.
Combine all of this with a decent Pro mode and you’ve got a winning combination.
Each phone has its own set of advantages and disadvantages, and the Sony Xperia 5 II has one of the most extensive Pro modes we’ve seen on a phone to date.
For those who need to take a quick image, however, all of the phones on our list employ machine learning and other software changes to capture great photos that don’t require any human adjustments.
This is because Apple’s HEIC container stores far more detail than a conventional JPEG container.
The availability of third-party camera applications plays a significant influence in this situation.
Some applications are accessible for Android, but those used by professionals are more likely to be released first and to be updated more frequently on iOS. Our in-depth guide on how to shoot great images with your iPhone is available online.
How About Video?
When you live in the age of TikTok and Instagram Stories, video has become more crucial than ever. Here are some characteristics to keep an eye out for. Because optical image stabilization produces less shaky movies than electrical or digital picture stabilization, optical image stabilization is always preferable. Many high-end phones are now equipped with both, creating an effect similar to that of a Steadicam. The iPhone 13 Pro Max is capable of recording video in Dolby Vision High Dynamic Range (HDR).
Currently, 8K video demands a significant amount of storage—approximately 600MB per minute—and its major application is video editing on a PC after the fact, particularly if you want to be able to crop and zoom.
Even while most phones can now shoot at up to 240 frames per second (1/8 speed), some can capture at up to 960 frames per second (1/32 speed), slow motion may create some intriguing effects.
Other video effects, such as time lapse, hyperlapse, and video bokeh, are available on many smartphones.
Do You Need a Standalone Camera?
When it comes to the highest possible image quality, the greatest possible low-light performance, a powerful optical zoom, or a good macro shot, a dedicated SLR or mirrorless camera is still the best option. Our selection of the top digital cameras is an excellent place to begin your search. Also, make sure to check out our photography tips that go above and beyond the basics. For those who don’t need to shoot professional-quality photos, though, a great smartphone camera will suffice, and you won’t go wrong with any of the models we’ve chosen from our list.
The best camera phone for 2022
When it comes to new phones, the camera is generally the most eye-catching feature. And, for the first time in recent memory, phone manufacturers increased the number of features and improved the quality of their camera software and hardware in 2021. A new faster aperture lens was installed on the primary camera of all four iPhone 12 models when they were first shown by Apple at WWDC. The iPhone 12 Pro Max raises the bar for its cameras even further, with even more hardware and software enhancements that result in stunning photographs and movies.
Some of the most intriguing new camera capabilities are available on other Android smartphones.
Sony included settings and an interface that are similar to those found on its extremely popular Alpha mirrorless camera range in both the Xperia 1 II and the smaller Xperia 5 II.
Meanwhile, the Google Pixel 4A, 4A 5G, and 5 offer one of the most user-friendly camera programs available on the market, as do the Apple iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.
With our CNET Mobile newsletter, you can learn about the latest smartphones, applications, and accessories. Tuesdays and Thursdays are the days for delivery. As you go through comparisons of different phone cameras, it’s crucial to remember that there is no such thing as a “perfect” phone camera. The zoom on the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, for example, or Google’s amazing Night Sight function for photographing in low light are both examples of phones that stand out when compared to their peers when it comes to a certain capability.
- Most interested in how the cameras perform in real-world scenarios, particularly in terms of features, simplicity of use, image quality, and pricing, is how they operate in everyday circumstances.
- Patrick Holland is a contributor to CNET.
- Apple’s Smart HDR, Deep Fusion, and Night Mode processing, together with the images captured by those three cameras, provide stunning images with exceptional dynamic range and clarity.
- ProRaw allows you to customize a raw file that has been injected with the computational photo intelligence of the iPhone.
- The 12 Pro Max also performs admirably when it comes to video capturing, particularly in terms of video picture quality.
- As a cherry on top, the front-facing camera works at the same level as the primary back camera and has Portrait mode as well as Night Mode functionality.
- Check out our review of the Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max.
In October, when the $700 Google Pixel 5 was released, many people thought that Google would improve the cameras even further.
It is equipped with a wide-angle and ultrawide-angle camera (which took the place of the telephoto camera in the Pixel 4 from the following year, 2020).
Despite the fact that its video recording quality has increased over the Pixel 4, the iPhone 12 Pro Max is still miles ahead and, as a result, a superior all-around performer.
Despite the fact that top Android phones have mostly caught up to the iPhone in terms of photography over the past few years, one area in which Apple continues to dominate is video capturing.
Despite the fact that videos are only available in 4K (rather than the 6K and 8K we see on certain Android phones), the image quality of the films is dependably crisp, with good dynamic range, particularly in high dynamic range (HDR).
It’s no surprise that directors such as Steven Soderbergh have taken notice.
Check out our review of the Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max.
However, it is equipped with the same wide-angle, ultra-wide-angle, and selfie cameras as the iPhone 12 and 12 Pro.
While the iPhone 12 Pro Max boasts the finest camera technology Apple has ever created, the iPhone 12 Mini has the best dollar-to-performance ratio of any new iPhone camera we have tested, including the iPhone XS.
Otherwise, you might consider spending a little extra money and obtaining the iPhone 12 in the “normal” size.
Pixel 4A 5G is a high-speed smartphone.
While there are plenty of “last year’s” phone models that have been discounted to under $500, the Google Pixel 4A 5G was built from the ground up to be affordable and to have an identical camera system (wide Google is one of the few phone makers that does not make any compromises on camera quality when it comes to making more affordable phones.
- Check out our Google Pixel 4A 5G review for more information.
- The Google Pixel 4A, which retails for $349, was unveiled in August 2020 and has outrageously fantastic cameras.
- In addition to producing photographs with a cinematic aesthetic, the Pixel 4A is equipped with a camera software that is one of the more straightforward on our list.
- The Google Pixel 4A is the finest value for money you can get when it comes to a smartphone camera.
- Angela Lang is a contributor to CNET.
- Things like cameras will have to be rethought when you realize that the phone is literally half the thickness of a typical phone.
Even though it is not as good or as versatile as the camera system in the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, the Z Fold 2 and its triple-camera system (wide, ultra-wide, and telephoto) are unbeatable if you don’t want to make a significant sacrifice in terms of photos and videos and you are willing to spend $2,000 on a foldable smartphone with a camera system that is capable of shooting in low light.
- See our Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 review for more information.
- The majority of flagship smartphones produced in 2020 were equipped with a night mode function that allows users to blend a series of photographs captured over a period of several seconds (up to a minute) into a single image.
- Each night mode operates in a somewhat different manner.
- Compared to the iPhone 12 Pro’s Night Mode, which creates shots that appear marginally more true to life, it produces amazing low-light photos that lean toward an exaggerated “hyper-real” appearance.
- This means that you can take images of a starry sky with nothing more than your smartphone.
- Sony is pursuing creative people who want greater control over their images and films, according to Patrick Holland of CNET.
- The Sony Xperia 5 II is equipped with controls and features borrowed from the company’s successful Alpha series of full-frame mirrorless cameras.
The first is the standard Xperia Android camera application.
The Xperia 5 II is essentially a more smaller and more cheap version of Sony’s Xperia 1 II smartphone, which was unveiled earlier this year.
Juan Garzon is a CNET contributor.
However, the 5x optical zoom on the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 ($1,300) makes the telephoto camera on the device simply the finest in the business.
Images taken with the Note 20 Ultra appear fantastic even when viewed at a 10x digital magnification.
Check out our Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra review for more information.
Portrait mode simulates an artful fuzzy backdrop (bokeh) in your phone images by utilizing a combination of camera hardware and computational photography.
The$999 With its mammoth specs, the Motorola Edge Plus is the firm’s first high-end phone in some years, and it represents a significant step forward for the brand.
In comparison to other phones’ portrait modes, it is the way it transitions from a person in focus to a bokeh-filled background that I find most impressive.
The Edge Plus collects depth information for portraiture by utilizing the phone’s 3x optical zoom and a time-of-flight sensor.
The images taken in rear portrait mode are really beautiful. Overall, the naturalness of the Edge Plus photographs has left an impression on me. See our Motorola Edge Plus review for more information.
Best phone camera for selfies
Sareena Dayaram is a CNET contributor. The Asus Zenfone 7 Pro (sold outside the United States for $850) has three high-resolution cameras (wide, ultra-wide, and telephoto) for snapping selfies, each with a different focal length. By having a swiveling camera module that can be rotated around the top of the phone, it is able to provide this trio of possibilities. As a result, the cameras that are traditionally found on the back of your phone are now also employed as selfie cameras. See our Asus Zenfone 7 Pro review for more information.
- In 2020, many of us were forced to work from home, which meant that we had to test items and create films on our own time.
- She used it to shoot vlog-style films in Portrait Mode, in which she spoke straight to the camera, and she was quite pleased with the results.
- As long as you’re looking straight ahead and squared off to the camera (from the appropriate distance), and don’t bring anything else into the frame, it creates a gorgeous background blur that’s virtually evocative to that produced by DSLR or mirrorless cameras, according to her observations.
- Currently playing: Keep an eye out for this: What is the best camera phone for taking selfies?
More of the best phones
- The best Android phones for 2022
- The best waterproof cameras for 2022
- And other topics. Prepaid phones that are the best in 2022
- Phones under $200: Our top selections as well as the latest cheap models
- The best phones under $500 dollars
- The finest smartphones to purchase in 2022
- The best foldable phones to buy in 2022
- In 2022, the most effective methods of selling or trading in your old iPhone
Best Samsung phone 2021: Which Galaxy smartphone is right for you?
Samsung and Apple, the world’s most powerful technology company, are involved in a never-ending smartphone rivalry. It is possible to argue that Samsung is outperforming the competition, if not on every front, then at the very least in terms of value for money. Samsung, in contrast to its Californian rival, has saturated the market with a number of Galaxy phone models that span a wide price range, from the dirt-cheap Galaxy A12 to the extra-large Galaxy S21 Ultra, and that are available in a variety of colors.
The Samsung phone that you pick will be determined by a variety of things.
Please read the following information so that you may make the most educated decision possible before purchasing your next Samsung phone at the store.
The best Samsung smartphones to buy
Price starts at £649 l Argos is currently offering a discount. Contract offers for the Samsung Galaxy S21 are now available. Samsung launched the Galaxy S21 and S21 Plus at the beginning of the year, setting the tone for the rest of the year. Although not much has changed from last year’s Galaxy S20, if you’re in the market for a new flagship smartphone as the year 2021 gets underway, there’s just nothing better available, regardless of whatever Galaxy S21 model you choose. To begin, Samsung’s latest all-singing, all-dancing smartphone has received a significant improvement in terms of design, with a new camera housing, matte finish, and a variety of color options.
Samsung’s own Exynos chip is no longer lagging behind its Qualcomm counterpart, and not only did it outperform its Qualcomm counterpart in our CPU testing, but its battery life has also been boosted as a result of this.
Regardless of whether you go for the standard model or a somewhat bigger variation, you can rest confident that you’ll be rewarded with a stunning flagship that will be up to the task of dealing with everything 2021 throws at it.
More information may be found in our comprehensive Samsung Galaxy S21 review. Processor: Samsung Exynos 2100; Screen: 6.2in, 2,400 x 1,080; Cameras: 12MP, 64MP (zoom), and 12MP (wide); Storage: 128GB; Other features include: Android 11 is the operating system.
2. Samsung Galaxy A21s: The best budget Samsung phone
Price:£150 per liter Purchase right now from Amazon. Contract offers for the Samsung Galaxy A21s as of today It is the Galaxy A21s that is the best choice for those who are on a tight budget and don’t want to spend a lot of money on the latest and greatest Samsung device. Although it is not the most visually appealing smartphone on the market, the Samsung Galaxy A21s is a fantastic device that is packed to the brim with capabilities and can be had for a relatively low price. Samsung has managed to cram a total of five cameras onto the device, which is, once again, a generous offering considering how much it is priced at ($500).
Samsung clearly knows how to build a good-looking, reasonably priced smartphone, and the Galaxy A21s, which comes equipped with Android 10, a slick design, and a beautiful screen, far exceeds our expectations.
Specs that are important – Processor: Exynos 850 from Samsung; Android 10 operating system; Screen:6.5in, 1,600 x 720 pixels;Camera:48 megapixels, 8 megapixels (wide), 2 megapixels (macro), 2 megapixels (depth);Storage:64 GB;
3. Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3 5G: The best foldable worth buying
Price: £1,599 (plus VAT) Argos is currently offering a discount. Deals on the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3 5G smartphone are currently available. Samsung’s next-generation foldable smartphone might be the first truly worthwhile purchase. Its bugs have been worked out, and the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3 5G is a significant upgrade over previous models, with a new robust build that includes IPX8-rated waterproofing for the first time in a foldable smartphone. It’s also the first foldable that’s completely clumsy-proof, with to a sturdier inner screen, a revised hinge, and a more durable “Armour Aluminium” frame, among other features.
The Galaxy Z Fold3 5G is the most expensive smartphone you can buy right now, but it’s well worth it if you can afford it, especially considering that it uses the most powerful mobile chipset available, the Qualcomm Snapdragon 888, and that the new big-screen-friendly UI improvements are a real treat as well.
More information may be found in our comprehensive Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3 5G review.
Camera resolutions: 12MP, 12MP (zoom), 12MP (wide); storage capacities: 256GB and 512GB; Android 11 is the operating system.
4. Samsung Galaxy S20 FE: Fan-tastic value
Price:£599 |Buy now from ArgosNow that the Galaxy S21 has arrived in stores, you might be tempted to save a little money by opting for last year’s Galaxy S20 rather than this year’s model instead. However, it’s completely conceivable that Samsung’s mid-generation upgrade, the Galaxy S20 FE, may have passed you by, and if that’s the case, it’s well worth taking a look at as a potential replacement for your current phone. Cheaper than the Galaxy S20, with greater battery life and speedier performance, the Galaxy S20 FE (also known as the Fan Edition) is a really good all-around smartphone.
More information may be found in our comprehensive Samsung Galaxy S20 FE review. Specs that are important – Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 is the processor used. Screen:6.5in, 2,400 x 1,080 pixels; Camera:12MP, 8MP (zoom), 12MP (wide); Storage:128GB/256GB; Operating system:Android 10
5. Samsung Galaxy A52 5G: Samsung’s best mid-range phone
Price: £400 per liter Argos is currently offering a discount. Deals on the Samsung Galaxy A52 with 5G connectivity. Unlike other smartphone lines, the Samsung Galaxy series does not begin and conclude with the S and Note lines. Samsung’s A-series family is better suited for those with smaller wallets, and the Galaxy A52 5G is possibly the company’s most reasonably priced smartphone to date. The Samsung Galaxy S21 is a terrific value if you’re looking for a device that has a 120Hz display, surprisingly fast performance, and a respectable set of cameras at a price that’s over half the price.
For additional information, please see our comprehensive Samsung Galaxy A52 5G review.
6. Samsung Galaxy Flip3 5G: The best-value foldable
Price:£949 per liter Argos is currently offering a discount. The Flip3 5G is a fantastic folding flagship that can be used in conjunction with the Fold (seen above). The Flip3 5G offers the same high-level upgrades as the previous model, including IPX8-rated waterproofing, a stronger design, and a 120Hz refresh screen, but it is a much better value because it is significantly less expensive than the previous model, with prices finally dropping below four figures for the first time. And, thanks to Flip-friendly upgrades such as a four-fold increase in the size of the cover screen and a slew of UI enhancements, the Flip3 5G is pretty much the best smartphone money can buy for a quarter of the price of the competition.
Specs that are important – Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 is the processor used.
Android 11 is the operating system.
7. Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra: Bigger, better, more expensive
Price:£1,179 |Available now at Argos. Contracts for the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra have been announced. Samsung’s Galaxy Note 20 Ultra is the best Android smartphone money can buy right now. One of the main reasons it isn’t at the top of this list is because of its high launch price, which starts out at £1,179. That’s simply a figure we can’t support, especially since other, less expensive Samsung phones perform just as well. Still, if you can afford it, the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra is a fantastic Android smartphone that is well worth your money.
For additional information, please see our comprehensive Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra review.
Specs that are important – Processor: Samsung Exynos 990; memory: 128 GB 6.9in, 3,088 x 1,440 resolution; 108-megapixel camera with 12-megapixel zoom and a wide-angle lens; 256GB or 512GB of internal storage; Android 10 operating system
These are the Best Samsung Galaxy phones to buy in 2021!
In the realm of smartphones, only Samsung has a genuine chance of competing with Apple in terms of worldwide brand awareness and availability, as well as marketing and research & development spending. As a result, some people throughout the world are opting to purchase a Samsung smartphone instead of an iPhone. Thus, for better or worse, Samsung has become synonymous with the Android platform. However, the good news is that Samsung manufactures a varied assortment of goods that cater to virtually any demand.
And if you’re interested in other options besides Samsung, we also offer a guide to the best Android phones and even the best iPhones.
The very best money can buy: The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 is a foldable smartphone.
The following is the best option for individuals who desire a stylus: Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra (Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra) The Samsung Galaxy M31 has the longest battery life.
Best Overall: Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
A stunning 120Hz WQHD+ OLED screen; intuitive software; fast performance; and a 10x optical zoom camera that produces super-sharp images up to a zoom of 20x, and even up to a zoom of 30x or 40x is still usable make the Galaxy S21 Ultra the most capable and well-rounded smartphone available right now. It also has every feature you could possibly want, such as wireless charging, reverse wireless charging, macro shooting mode, 8K video recording, and Samsung DeX, which allows the phone to be used as a fully working desktop computer when connected to a monitor or smart TV.
At $1,200, the S21 Ultra is not a cheap smartphone, but if you’re interested in mobile technology and have the cash to spend, this is a device that’s well worth your money.
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
- When it comes to the new Samsung Galaxy S21 flagship series, the Galaxy S21 Ultra is the ultimate overkill, carrying a flagship SoC, a premium construction, a brilliant display, an excellent camera system, and a slew of other features that you’d expect from a premium flagship.
Second Best Phone Overall: Samsung Galaxy S21
If the Galaxy S21 Ultra is out of reach for you, the smaller Galaxy S21, which starts at $800, may be a better option. Although the Galaxy S21 lacks the world-class zoom camera of the Galaxy S21 Ultra and has a polycarbonate back instead of Gorilla Glass, it retains a lot of the features that made the Galaxy S21 Ultra so special, including the striking camera module design, One UI 3.1, a really good ultra-wide camera, and the same zippy performance as the Galaxy S21 Ultra. Even without a Periscope zoom lens, the Galaxy S21 is capable of taking zoom images that are decent in quality.
The primary 12MP camera is likewise more than good, if a notch or two behind the best of the best flagship cameras on the market. We particularly like its size, which is not too big and can be operated with only one hand reasonably effortlessly.
Best Value: Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G
When it comes to features, the Samsung Galaxy S20 FE (Fan Edition) is a good handset that provides certain crucial aspects of a premium flagship while cutting costs in other areas – but they’re the appropriate corners to cut. Samsung has retained the stunning 120Hz Super AMOLED display, and it is now a flat panel, which is welcome news for many people. The Snapdragon 865 CPU used in this device was a flagship chipset at the time of its debut and continues to perform admirably now. In terms of design, this phone is pretty plasticky all throughout, albeit it does come in an array of vibrant colors.
Nonetheless, the 12MP primary camera and the ultra-wide camera are both capable of producing clear, vibrant shots, proving to be a strong combination.
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
- The S20 FE, which is the newest phone on this list, may be regarded one of the greatest value options for the year 2020. With just a few minor concessions, like as a polycarbonate casing and a mediocre telephoto camera, you’re getting a device that’s virtually as good as a top-tier flagship.
Best that money can buy: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
Samsung’s brand new Galaxy Z Fold 3 smartphone is the very top of the line in terms of performance and features. Not only is it the first foldable tablet in the world to have an official IP classification for water resistance and to include pen compatibility, but it is also the first device to feature an under-screen camera in a mainstream, widely accessible smartphone. With the Galaxy Z Fold 3, you’ll get everything we loved about the previous model, including a massive, beautiful 7.6-inch internal screen that’s purportedly even more durable than before, as well as a 6.2-inch exterior cover display that, with the Fold 3, now supports a 120Hz refresh rate.
More impressive is the fact that Samsung was able to cut the price of the Galaxy Z Fold 3 when compared to prior Folds.
Also Great: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2
Although the Galaxy Z Fold 2 has been superseded by the recently announced Galaxy Z Fold 3, it still a highly competent foldable and one of the finest folding phones available at the time of writing. Many of the features that distinguish the Galaxy Z Fold 3 from its competitors — including as the magnificent huge internal screen, the distinctive form factor, and the powerful hinge — are also present in the Galaxy Z Fold 2. So comparable is the camera performance between the two models that it is hard to tell them apart.
If you’re looking for a truly nice foldable at a fair price, the Z Fold 2 should be reasonably priced now that the Z Fold 3 has been released.
Best Compact and Style: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3 is one of the most aesthetically pleasing smartphones that have been released in recent years. We appreciate the two-tone finish, as well as the fact that it is small when folded up. Not to be fooled by its little size, however: the Galaxy Fold 3 is, along with this device, the most robust folding phone ever, thanks to IPX8 water resistance and Samsung’s new “Armor Aluminum” construction material. In addition, the screen is 80 percent more robust than it was previously.
You may use this phone whether you desire a fashionable phone or a gadget that will fit into practically any pocket. What’s the best part? With the Galaxy Z Flip 3, Samsung has managed to bring the price down to make it the most affordable foldable phone yet.
Galaxy Z Flip 3
- The Galaxy Z Flip 3 is a fantastic tiny foldable device that has excellent appearance as well as durability. It’s also the most reasonably priced folding phone ever created.
Best for those who want a stylus: Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Despite the fact that the Galaxy S21 Ultra can be used with the S Pen, it’s a bit of an afterthought for that device because the S Pen cannot be stored inside the phone, and the case that comes with a storage slot for the S Pen isn’t exactly the prettiest case in the world (although it is functional). In light of these considerations, the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra continues to be, in our opinion, the ideal smartphone for people seeking a smooth pen experience. In addition to a primary camera system that has a 108-megapixel sensor, the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra also includes a “Space Zoom” periscope camera that can capture sharp 5X images, decent 10X images, and images at a zoom level of up to 50X.
One feature that many people find appealing about the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra is the S-Pen, which, in addition to being a very good stylus, can also be used as a remote control for things like snapping hands-free photos or cycling through the phone’s user interface.
Because to the Snapdragon 865+ CPU and 12GB of RAM, performance is excellent throughout the board.
Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
- Including an S-Pen, the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra is the smartphone with everything. In terms of specifications, it exceeds all expectations – with the exception of a foldable screen – and the S-Pen is a game-changer for individuals who need to be productive on the go.
Best Samsung for those who want 5G on a budget: Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
The Samsung Galaxy A52 5G is a decent mid-range device that makes the necessary sacrifices in order to achieve its reduced pricing. A plastic construction replaces glass, and the camera’s zoom range is limited, but these are qualities that individuals on a tight budget would willingly forego in order to save several hundred dollars on their smartphone purchase. As a result, the Samsung Galaxy A52 retains its 120Hz AMOLED display, the competent Snapdragon 750G, and a powerful 64MP primary camera as well as a 16MP ultra-wide-angle camera.
With this phone, you have the three pillars of what most people look for in a phone: an excellent screen, a reliable camera that does its job, and sufficient processing power.
Galaxy A52 5G
- The Galaxy A52 5G is Samsung’s most recent smartphone, and it provides 5G connection at a lesser price than previous models. Those looking for a dependable collection of features but not wanting to spend a lot of money on a phone need go no further than this model.
In terms of making a general suggestion on which Samsung phone to buy, we find it difficult to do so. Obviously, the Galaxy S21 Ultrais the greatest all-around phone available right now, and the Galaxy Z Fold 3is the most flexible of the bunch. However, if you are looking to save money, the regular Galaxy S21 is still a very nice option.
Of course, Samsung’s affordable devices are capable of outperforming their respective price ranges. So, which one of these Samsung Galaxy phones is your favorite, and are there any more you think we should add to the list? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below.